Monday, September 29, 2008

God Movements

God is really amazing.

On Saturday, CSC met up for the first time. Professor Romero educated us newbies about social justice according to the Christian faith. For once, he spoke of how great heroes, such as MLK JR, or Ceaser Chavez, were men of intense faith. Sure they weren't perfect (neither were some of their followers), but the force driving these leaders to lead, and make a dent in society, came not from human strength, but from their relationship with God. It is noted in history that Ceasar Chavez went on a "hunger strike" but in actuality, he did a spiritual fast (like what people did in the bible) and it was only after that fast was there a great shift in the movement. If you read MLK's letters to fellow churches, you see how much he talks about Jesus, about God, and how all of this movement is derived from the Father's heart to see the oppressed free. But what is socially unjust (in my opinion) is the omitting of such details in academic programs. Only horrible unbiblical accounts of "Christendom" is told of, while these positive aspects of Christianity is left out. How's that for social justice? If we want to be objective, then let's put all the info and let the readers decide for themselves what is truth.









Yesterday, David brought his friend Daniel to church. Daniel is a new Christian, who was once a "Paul" like Jew, hating Christians intensely, and even writing for a Jewish newsletter. He abhorred what Christians were preaching, practicing, etc. God totally divinely appointed us three to meet. While eating at this Caribbean health place, he began to share about his current trials in life. It was amazing how similar our trials were. I shared my story with him, and he was greatly comforted (and so was I). The three of us ended up praying for each other in the parking lot before heading home.






And then, there's today. Some of my classmates and I went to go eat lunch. After praying for my food, I guess a classmate asked if I was super Christian or something, and I replied that I do have a relationship with Jesus. haha. It was really cool to hear their opinions about their distasteful experiences with Christianity and how we had a mature discourse on why we think this all happens and such. Ironically, we walked by some religious radical telling people that they were going to hell (signs, you know the whole deal). I just laughed and told my friends Christianity ain't like that, and I really don't know what to make of them. But glad that they were mature enough to understand and we walked off and went our separate ways.

Oh this is so interesting. Everyday it seems, there is another divine encounter with people, all hungry, or questioning, or just wanting real friendships.

God will you bring your love so evident in me, in Your power, cuz I can't do this on my own strength!

Yay!

No comments: