Thursday, September 11, 2008

Those who have been given more, more will be expected of them.

"Those who live accordingly to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God."

Romans 8:5-8

While doing devotional today, God really spoke to me and the frailty of the human being. First, I was reminded through a prayer from Willo, that God expects more from me because I have been given much. I didn't really take that as seriously until today. God has given so much to me, various opportunities to bless others, and yet just like this verse says, "the mind of sinful man is death" I felt like I was dying because I dwelt too much on selfish thoughts for an extended period of time.

The outcome of those minds directed by the Holy Spirit is life and peace. When I go about my own way, what my flesh desires, I cannot please God, and inevitably, I bring all types of trouble on myself (hence, death). I've realized that the Holy Spirit is the guidance and I must take more time to communion. There are lives at stake, hungry people in the world, broken daughters and sons, and I have to keep accountable to checking myself and my temptation to be directed by my sinful nature, my flesh. I want life, I want peace, the Holy Spirit guides me on that path.

It's only about two weeks till school starts. I truly believe God's sovereignty put me on the UCLA campus for a specific reason. I still don't know what to expect. I felt so frustrated knowing that I would be fighting the bureaucracy of educational politics, and reluctantly accepted teaching as my present goal. But God wants me to teach for some reason, and all I can do is have faith to see what's in stored. I plan to have gatherings at my apartment for bible reading and prayer. If you are in the LA area and need a place just to read the word and pray (about an hour of reading, hour of praying), feel free to contact me.


Other than that,
As always, your prayers are felt and effective. Please continue to pray for strength. I want to be an instrument for global change, but it first has to begin with my own character issues. Pray that I will keep watching for the workings of God and follow his example. Thank you everyone!

Love you!
Solei Deo Gloria.

No comments: